To all of you lovely people that have offered to to make meals for our family,
First of all THANK YOU! It is so nice to come home from treatment and not have to think about what is for dinner, it is very much appreciated!
As you can only imagine, there are very many opinions, some based on fact, some based on personal experience and some based on who knows what, on how to eat when one is facing the battle that Natasha is facing. We have done some research, consulted with some people, and have come up with this as our plan for now
The things we know for sure:
- Natasha is allergic to tree nuts, so basically all nuts are out !
What we are eliminating from our diet:
- All processed foods, think bags, boxes, packages that have a long list of ingredients that you cannot pronounce and have no idea what they are.
- Refined sugars
What we are keeping:
- Veggies, lots and lots of veggies!! Anything colour, shape texture, preferably organic, or locally grown. ( Currently Natasha’s favourites are Cucumbers, carrots and tomatoes.)
- Fruit - preferably in season, organic or local
- Meat- organic, free range,antibiotic & steroid free. This may sound like a lot of restrictions, but is quite easy to find at community health foods, blush lane market, most butcher shops.
- Whole grains- Quinoa, rice, Think breads that only have a handful of ingredients that you can pronounce and identify.
- Fats- good quality, virgin, organic, cold pressed for most
- Dairy - organic, least amount of additives possible ( ex: Plain yogurt, we can add our own fruit)
Other things to note:
- If you are preparing anything that has sauces, it would be greatly appreciated if they could be kept separate, then Natasha can add as she sees fit.
- If things cannot be frozen please put a bright sticky note on it, so it doesn’t get missed
- Food in containers that we can recycle are appreciated.
Please find below:
- Information on the Max Love Project www.maxloveproject.org - a reference to fighting cancer with nutrition.
- A link to www.onceamonthmeals.com - a great site with whole food recipes for freezer cooking.
Do not feel that you are limited to these just some ideas!! Again, THANK YOU so much for your assistance, it is truly appreciated.
Saskia and Bill